Laser hair removal is a reliable way to smooth your skin and eliminate unwanted body hair. Many women and men have left shaving and waxing behind by investing in this popular solution. While the treatment itself is a straightforward procedure, first-timers can benefit from keeping a few tips in mind. If you’re interested in booking a laser hair removal session, here are a few pieces of advice that help our Omaha clients.
- Shave ahead of time: During treatment, the laser reacts with the hair on the surface of the skin. To get a smoother result (and avoid a burnt hair smell), shave 12 to 14 hours before treatment. Do not use waxing products. The root of the hair needs to be present for the laser to work best.
- Stay out of the sun: Skip any extended sun exposure during the 2-week period before your treatment. If you are sunburned or tanned, you may have to reschedule your appointment. These preventative measures also include any fake tan products. Remove fake tan beforehand with a cleanser or exfoliator.
- Put away the creams and scrubs: Beauty products such as scrubs, glycolic acid, and retinol creams should be avoided 2 days before and after treatment. This includes moisturizer and deodorant! Instead of moisturizer, you can use gentler products such as face mists. These can help you calm and hydrate the skin without leaving residue on the surface.
- Don’t worry—it’s not painful: The sensation during treatment is a quick, sharp prick. It’s similar to a rubber band being snapped against the skin. Treatment lasts only around 20 minutes, so you can return to work or home fairly quickly. No downtime is required afterward.
- Avoid exercise or hot showers: Try to keep from sweating after treatment, as it can make your skin extra vulnerable to bacteria. Warm activities such as hot showers or baths should also be avoided. To prevent infection or ingrown hairs, keep your body temperature low for 24 hours after treatment. This will help you produce smooth, long-lasting results.
- Be consistent: Hair removal isn’t an instant process. For the best results, patients should attend 8 to 10 appointments spaced out in intervals. Appointments can often be booked in batches for this reason. While 90% of people report permanent hair reduction, hormone fluctuations (such as those brought on by pregnancy) occasionally bring hair back. In these cases, return to your provider for further instruction.
Laser hair removal is an excellent way to get silky smooth skin without the hassle of waxing or shaving. It works for both men and women and can treat the legs, arms, chest, and more. If you would like to learn more about your laser hair removal and laser skin resurfacing treatments at our Omaha practice, request a consultation online. You can also call our office at (402) 408-0017.
Leave a Reply